Thursday, May 15, 2008

youth movement, revisited

Would you ride a train with this young man controlling the throttle?

Take a look at the gentleman in the photo at left. He is already certified as a freight train engineer. His experience as a freight conductor goes back to 2004 when he hired on with the railroad at the age of 19. He also worked as a train dispatcher for a year. He has just recently been hired by Amtrak; in a few months, pending successful completion of a passenger engineer training program in Wilmington, Delaware, he'll be qualified to operate trains carrying hundreds of passengers at speeds up to 90 mph.

Congratulations, Matt... it sounds like this is what you've always wanted and I hope you'll stick with it. Study hard, and remember to "drive it like you stole it"...


WSC

np: Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash - "Interstate Cannonball"

4 Comments:

Blogger B. Kooistra said...

Riding Amtrak IS An adventure, afterall. . .do they pay enough to live on in the east??

4:56 AM  
Blogger Ricky Bobby said...

If I can drive an intermodal train like I stole it, I think I can do the same for a passsenger train. (Safely too) I am only going to Wilmington for 8 weeks of training. I will be working out of Chicago when I get out of class.

~Matt

4:21 PM  
Blogger KJones said...

Yeah Matt! NOW I might be interested in riding Amtrak. It was always such a scary proposition before.

8:01 AM  
Blogger B. Kooistra said...

too. . . many. . .rulebooks. . .in. . .Chicago! Go get em! Come back here and run the Heartland Creeper!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home