Friday, August 17, 2007

summer mornings

A summer morning at Whiskey's


M amuses himself on a weekday morning...


It's a typical weekday summer morning at Whiskey's house. K is at work; L is upstairs reading a book or playing Neopets games on K's computer; I'm folding laundry and listening to music on my I-tunes; and M, still dressed in his SpongeBob pajamas, is watching cartoons. M's style of tv viewing is different from that of most other kids. He doesn't just lie there on the floor and watch. He'll have a pile of Legos in front of him, or little toy airplanes, some action figures, a roll of string, anything he can find to amuse himself when he begins to lose interest in whatever's on tv. And believe me, with some of the CRAP they're showing on Nick Jr and the Cartoon Network these days, it usually doesn't take very long.

From the next room, and sometimes from the other end of the house, I can hear him playing. His impersonations of the noise of bulldozers, tow trucks, race cars, exploding helicopters, and sonic booms echo through the family room and kitchen. As I enter the room, he shoots past me in a blur, running circles around the couches while he pilots a small spaceship he's put together with Legos and K'nex.

Watching and listening to him play in front of the tv brings back countless memories of my own childhood -- endless, carefree summer days watching Scooby Doo and playing Hot Wheels and GI Joes. I can definitely see myself in his actions.

School will be starting soon, and weekday mornings at Whiskey's house will soon be a lot quieter. M will be starting 1st grade, so this will be the first year that both kids will be gone from home all day, five days a week. Since I work a second-shift schedule, after I drop them at school, I won't see them again until the next morning.

I snap a photo as M darts around the family room. It's just a small attempt at preserving a moment that would otherwise be lost to time's passage. He obviously won't be this age forever. Maybe in ten or twenty years, a photo will help me remember what he was like in the summer of 2007.

***

On a different summer morning, a friend from work joined me for a bike ride on the Trinity River trails in Ft Worth. We caught a westbound Ft Worth & Western train creeping across the wood trestle through Trinity Park...

FWWR 2015 rolls through Ft Worth's Trinity Park. August 12, 2007.


WSC
nr: Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead
np: Lemonheads - "Ride with me"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home