Saturday, June 16, 2007

I am my babies' Daddy

Even though I view Fathers Day as pretty much another "Hallmark Holiday", I guess it would be appropriate to post a few comments here about fatherhood. My kids are 11 and 6. Raising them, keeping them healthy and happy, and teaching them morals and values will be among the most meaningful and important things I do in my life. I didn't always appreciate or understand the things that my dad did for me or how he related to me, but he definitely set some examples of hard work and fatherly self-sacrifice that I would do well to follow. Being a dad is difficult at times, but it's not without its rewards (and I'm not talking about Fathers' Day cards from Hallmark). Seeing my kids grow and learn is reward enough, but seeing parts of myself in the things they do and say is what really makes my heart shine. That's when I realize just how much of an influence I have on them, how much they look up to me, and how important it is for me to be a part of their lives. And that's something worth keeping in mind every day -- not just the third Sunday in June.
WSC
np: Bob Wills - "Stay a little longer"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger AAdriver said...

Reading that made be sit back and have a moment. Well said.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home