Friday, March 02, 2007

Texas Independence Day

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that today was Texas Independence Day, the day that Texas declared its independence from Mexico in 1836. If you're a Texan, today is your day to be PROUD to be a Texan. And if you're not a Texan, well... come pay us a visit sometime and experience some of that Texas mystique.
M made this flag in his kindergarten class.
God bless the youth of Texas!
It may surprise some of you to learn that I am not a native Texan. My parents were both born and raised in Ohio, and I was born in Pennsylvania when my dad was in the Army. But he and my mom had lived in San Antonio during the '60s, and they liked Texas enough to move back there. We moved to Temple when I was about 9 months old. So, as the saying goes, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as quick as I could." Both of my kids, however, ARE native Texans, and I couldn't be more proud. I'm not saying Texas is without its problems, but all things considered, there are few places I'd rather live and raise a family.

If you're a music fan like I am, then you might enjoy a few of my favorite Texas-themed musical selections to help you celebrate Texas Independence Day in style. Pop open a cold Shiner Bock -- or hell, even a Lone Star -- and enjoy!

Guy Clark - "Texas, 1947"
Terry Allen - "Amarillo Highway"
Jimmie Dale Gilmore - "Dallas"
Pat Green - "I Like Texas"
Austin Lounge Lizards - "Stupid Texas Song"
WSC
nr: John Steinbeck - Sweet Thursday
np: Kevin Fowler - "100 percent Texan" (on KHYI 95.3 FM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home