Friday, March 30, 2007

Party time

Last weekend, my friends Matt and Stephen were both in town for a visit. On Saturday the 24th, we caught Dale Watson at Dan's in Denton. Dale kind of has a "Jerry Reed" sound, and his repertoire includes more than a few truckin' songs. Dale was backed by a full band (bass, drums, fiddle, and pedal steel), and seemed to clown around on stage as much as he played. But it was nice to hear him include covers of songs by Merle Haggard and Hank Williams -- and even Jerry Reed. And the abundance of attractive ladies in the crowd kept the dance floor full; Matt and Stephen both swore to move back to Texas as soon as they could.


Dale Watson at Dan's in Denton

Matt and Stephen salute the "Ameri-CAN flag" at Dan's

On Sunday the 25th, we had M's 6th birthday party at the Little Gym in Keller. Including M, we had about 15 kids (relatives, neighbors, and friends from school) in attendance. The staff of Little Gym did a great job of organizing the party and keeping the kids entertained. Thanks, y'all!

Looks like M was late to his own party...


a new generation of dodgeball players


Replenishing the kids' sugar supply


Are you ready for some (bad Rangers) baseball?


Check out this AP re-cap of one of the Rangers' final spring training games, a 24-7 loss to San Diego:
"Texas' pitching might need some work. Starter Kevin Millwood gave up 12 hits and nine earned runs in 4 1-3 innings. Reliever Eric Gagne allowed four runs and five hits in a 20-pitch inning. Left-handed reliever Ron Mahay got just one out while being touched up for seven runs. "
Looks like it could be another long season in Arlington.
On the road (barely)

I don't know if it's the weather we've been having (cool, windy and cloudy) or the medications I'm on, but I've been having trouble getting motivated to get out much on my bike. I usually ride in the mornings while the kids are at school, but this spring, I just haven't been in the mood to get out much. It has been a struggle just summoning the will to leave the house, and by the time I do finally get rolling, I don't have time to cover much more than 10 or 15 miles. I'm signed up to ride 40 miles at Aledo's "Ride for Heroes" tomorrow. And I'm looking at doing 30 miles in the "Tour Dallas" on Saturday, April 7. Maybe those will help rejuvinate me and get me more interested in riding this year.
WSC

np: Wayne Hancock - "Big City Good-time Gal"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home