Saturday, December 16, 2006

Mid-December Ramblings

Friday Night Lights



Read the book!

Well, I haven't seen one episode of the series on prime time tv, but I finally got around to watching the movie (Matt, I'll get your dvd back to you eventually). I thought it was ok -- but maybe a little over the top. My advice... skip the movie and read the book. I'm reading it now. Friday Night Lights documents the 1988 football season of Odessa Permian High School. I was a junior that year at San Angelo Central (which at the time was in the same district as Permian; we played them every year). Naturally, the book has helped bring back a flood of memories from my high school experience... of growing up in west Texas, of west Texans' attitudes toward politics and race relations, of attending a 5-A high school where football was a pretty big deal, of life as a teenager in the late 1980s, of the west Texas economic situation during that time. If you've ever wondered what life in 1980s west Texas was like, or if you experienced it and want to re-live some of it, read the book. The movie only scratched the surface.


the real Dallas Cowboys - exposed?


Did you SEE the debacle against New Orleans on Sunday night? Man, was that ugly! It sure called into question the likelihood of a Cowboys Super Bowl run. All I can say is, if this is the Cowboys team that we're going to see going up against a good team, in a game that MATTERS, they ain't gonna get very far in the playoffs (if they make it there at all). I'm thinking we'll see them rebound against Atlanta, but I've been wrong before. And then there are the Eagles looming on the schedule for Christmas Day... it's gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.

In other news, the Cowboys organization recently unveiled its plans for the new stadium in Arlington, which will open in 2009. I was amused by the comments of Ft Worth Star-Telegram columnist Gil LeBreton, who described it as looking like "a giant cell phone". Hmmm, could it be that the stadium design is actually an architectural homage to one of Terrell Owens' more infamous end-zone celebrations? Oh, wait... you say that wasn't T.O. who stashed a cell phone in the goal post; it was Joe Horn? I could've sworn that was a T.O. stunt...

At any rate, I just hope I'll be able to afford to go to a game at the new place... it looks like it'll be about a million times nicer than that sh** hole Texas Stadium! Texas Stadium was a decent facility in its day, but one could certainly argue that it has outlived its usefulness as an NFL venue.


Whiskey's week in review

M joined me for some Christmas shopping last Sunday. Best Buy and Target were absolute nightmares... the epitome of the phrase "a-holes and elbows". Remind me next year to do ALL my shopping on line, and to avoid the stores at all times except during weekday mornings.




On our way to go Christmas shopping, we had to wait for this coal load to clear...


It feels like Spring again. For the next several days we'll be seeing highs in the 70s and lows only in the lower 40s to upper 50s. I might total a hundred miles on my bike rides this week!


December 14... another great day to ride




A former Milwaukee Road hopper -- in fairly good condition --
was in Roanoke on December 13.


Holiday wishes from Whiskey




Merry Christmas from the family...

I'm starting to get pretty busy with Christmas preparations, and who knows when I'll get around to posting my next entry. So in case I don't get around to it later, here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, or alternate winter solstice holiday of their choice. Thanks for reading my blog -- especially those of you who take the time to post comments or send emails. And tune in during 2007 for more of the same.
WSC
np: Blue Highway - Marbletown
nr: H. G. Bissinger - Friday Night Lights




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home