Sunday, October 29, 2006

Vacation re-cap Part 3

Corpus Christi Choo-Choos

It had been 10 years since I photographed a train in Corpus Christi. On my way back from a South Padre trip in 1996, I had spent a night in Corpus and caught an eastbound Texas-Mexican train arriving from Laredo early the next morning. Those would be the last Tex-Mex locomotives I would photograph. The Kansas City Southern (KCS) began investing in theTexas-Mexican Railway in 1995 and fully absorbed the Tex-Mex ten years later. The trains you'll see down there these days look a lot like the ones you'll see along the other portions of the KCS system.

On the morning of Tuesday, October 10, I left the island and headed over toCorpus Christi to see what I could find. I found KCS locomotives in the same locations where I had photographed Tex-Mex engines 10 to 12 years ago. I was disappointed to find very few traces of the Tex-Mex identity (just a few freight cars), but at least they weren't taken over by the UP! I caught KCS' Corpus Christi yard engines, a westbound freight, two eastbound freights, and a mysterious movement of new coal hoppers towardthe Port of Corpus Christi -- all before lunch, leaving plenty of time to spend the afternoon at the beach. Now THAT's what I'm talking about...


along Highway 44 between Corpus Christi and Robstown



Corpus Christi yard


Eastbound at Corpus Christi


A real rarity in 2006 - a white KCS SD40-2


KCS 649 heads toward the Port of Corpus Christi


A westbound KCS freight crosses the UP interlocker at Robstown


Eastbound near Robstown


TFM 1603 near Robstown

Stay tuned for Part 4...

WSC

np: ESPN - College GameDay Final

nr: John Steinbeck - Tortilla Flat


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home