Monday, June 05, 2006

L turns 10...

L turns 10...

It's hard to believe, my daughter turned 10 this weekend. I think back to 10 years ago, what a difficult and chaotic time that was for K and me as we endured some relationship difficulties; I truly believe it was only by the grace of God that we made it through that period of our lives. And I have no doubt that our daughter's arrival was a blessing from above -- a blessing for which I am thankful every day.


L at 0 years, 1 day


L at 10 years

Nothing I accomplish in life -- in my career, in my hobby as a photographer -- will ever be as important or as special as what I accomplish as a parent. I remember the day she was born as vividly as if it happened just last week. Those 10 years have gone by in a flash... it makes me wonder how quickly the next 10 years will pass!


the return of Wayne the Train

My friend Matt joined me Friday night to see Wayne Hancock at Dan's Silverleaf in Denton.


My friend Chris in Omaha remarked that I seem to attend shows there (Dan's) fairly frequently. I've seen James McMurtry, Junior Brown, Eleven Hundred Springs and Speedtrucker there once each, and have seen the Gourds there more times than I can count. I described Friday night's show -- more or less a typical Dan's show -- in an email to Chris...

That was my third time seeing Wayne this year, and I caught him once last year... at Dan's each time. It's just a run-down-looking bar on the southeast side of downtown, not really close to the UNT campus or bars. I go to shows there more than anywhere else because: 1) they book the acts I enjoy, 2) it isn't too crowded, 3) it's easy to get to, and 4) parking is no problem. It's a lot easier than trying to get to Deep Ellum to catch a show after work on a Friday night... Not many UNT coeds in the crowd, but there are a few... the Dan's shows seem to draw MUSIC fans from all walks of life... 40-something divorcees (and I'm not talking MILF material here), 20-ish dyed-hair chicks with tattoos, UNT frat boys, 60-something ranchers with their wives, you name it. Always an interesting crowd!

Wayne & co. sounded great, although their steel player wasn't with them this time around. But guitarist Eddie did his best to pick up the slack... that guy can really tear it up. We caught the second half of their first set and all of the second... they were still playing at 2 AM when the house lights came on and it was time for the bar to close. Wayne has some very gracious and loyal fans... I haven't seen many acts who, at the end of a song, thank the audience for applauding, only to have the audience respond, "No... thank YOU!" Check 'em out if you get a chance. If you like country (the older, more traditional-sounding stuff like Hank Williams or Ernest Tubb), rockabilly, or even '50s rock n roll, you'll dig 'em..........

Get yer train photos here...

I just finished adding a new photo page to my website. These feature the Sand Springs Railway, a shortline just west of Tulsa, Oklahoma. I took them during my Oklahoma trip back in March. Check 'em out if you're interested... http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/ss.html

WSC

np: Hagfish - "Buick Men"

nr: Stephen Ambrose - Nothing Like it in the World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home